Movies and posts on this blog

Latest on Masala Punch

Sunday, March 21, 2010

BLB and OiG exclusive – Shashi's top secret speech at the Filmfares

Shammi Shashi Rekha As most readers will know, Shashi Kapoor was recently given the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award. What you probably didn't know is that he made a lengthy, significant, and history-soaked acceptance speech that was never televised. You may have read that all he said is "Thank you," but that is far from the truth! How the entire film fraternity (well, with a few notable exceptions) managed to keep their mouths shut about this magnificent oration, we'll never know, but now you, dear readers, have a chance to hear his words in this exclusive report!
Thanks to a fantastic friend at Filmfare, Beth Loves Bollywood and I had a rare opportunity to be present for the awards - if you've seen them on tv or online, we're hunkered in the shadows at the far left of the stage. But our friend only had one pass to spare, so, like good long-lost, recently-reunited masala sisters, we promised to share and share alike. I drew the straw to go in second, so I have the second half of his speech here for you, transcribed word for word off the recording I sneaked with my phone.
Check out part-I at Beth Loves Bollywood. Here’s the second part:


Everything seemed a Sangram [Struggle]. Through hard work and the graciousness of Nanda, who risked being my co-star, I was able to overcome my Rahu-Ketu [Bad Omen] and come out from under the Kaali Ghata [Dark clouds] of my early flops. I toiled for my family's Roti Kapda Aur Makaan [Food, Clothing, and Shelter] and had to make an Ahuti [Sacrifice] of my dreams of being a full-time Shakespeare-Wallah [Shakespearean stage actor]. I must admit, there were times when this Gehri Chot [Deep Wound] to my theatrical ambitions and artistic sensibilities felt like a painful and treacherous Trishul [Trident] lodged in my side. Why can't earning my Daana Paani [Livelihood] be simple? In the 70s, my shooting schedule was more than full. At that Waqt [Time] I was so busy with so many different films that it seemed that in fact Ek aur Ek would be Gyarah [1 + 1 = 11] if I signed just one more project! Shuttling between set and locations for countless shoots, I felt like a rootless Awaara [Vagabond].

I must admit, my Dewaangee [Madness] for Prithvi Theater made me take on too much work. I became an Ajooba [Freak], In Custody of producers, behind the Salaakhen [the Bars of a Cage] of my own ambition! Even my own brother didn't respect my decisions. Kabhi Kabhi [Sometimes] at the end of a long day, I would wonder what I had become: Farishta Ya Qatil [Angel or Murderer]? Had I brought on an artistic Kalyug [Dark Age] on myself? Other times, I felt that my Imaan Dharam [Honesty and Duty] would take me out of my Char Diwari [Four Walls, i.e. home] and give me Mukti [freedom]. But my Trishna [Thirst] for Shaan [Style] brought me away from the Kaala Pathtar [Black Stone (Coal)] my career was starting to resemble, and today I feel that Duniya Meri Jeb Mein hai [The World Is In My Pocket].
Life in films wasnt always a Pyar Ka Mausam [Season of Love]. But now that I am no longer an Anari [Novice/Ignorant], the wisdom of experience has taught me that my Jeevan Sangram [Life Struggle] has been worthwhile. And... everything you hear about the actor's ego is true! One hit and Naach Uthe Sansar [The World Begins Dancing]. It is such a thrill to be Amne Saamne [Face to Face] with the desires of the people, to feel their love! It's truly a career that Dil Ne Pukara [The Heart Called Out]. My fans - both young and old - insist that, as skeptical as I may have been about some of my films, particularly in the heyday and decline of masala, I was never just the Doosra Aadmi [Second Man] of all those famous films.

To emerge a Vijeta [Conqueror] from a struggle that Koi Jeeta Koi Haara [Someone Won, Someone Lost], especially after turns as a Commando and Pakhandi [Conman], is a humbling achievement. Ah! Filmfare *gazes at the statuette* how often has it been Neend Hamari Khwab Tumhare [My Sleep and Your Dreams]?! To fresh actors, I say that there are no Side Streets to success - hard work can turn a Fakira [Outlaw] into a Siddhartha [The Buddha - i.e. a respected, revered figure]. Always know the difference between Paap Aur Punya [Sin and Virtue], and never ignore your fans' Prem Patra-s (Love Letter).

14 comments:

  1. Wah wah! Such genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have rendered me speechless!
    Shashi fest has been such a treat...how I wish Bittu and Bunty were twins born on different dates. We would have had such wonderful weeks more than once every year that way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richa, thanks!

    sunheriyaadein, I am speechless at your genius! Bittu and Bunty should certainly have been twins born a few months apart. You need to take a time machine back to the 70s, ASAP, and let MD know about this. Only he can arrange such things...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for doing this. So many of us would never have known.
    Nice to hear his words too since he is not so much in the media these days.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always glad to be of service, Karen! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, so Geoffrey Kendall wouldn't have regretted doing Jennifer's Kanyadaan, huh? Such a successful son-in-law... and a good Householder, too?

    You and Beth are absolute geniuses. Loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, I now realize what this really is! Well it was wonderful.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so impressed--but then you're always clever with words so I'm not surprised! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol dustedoff, you got it! He might have regretted losing his Abhinetri daughter, but she did choose a good Householder. And thanks. Beth and I had tons of fun doing it...

    karen, this is Bollyblogland - everything here is make-believe. Any similarities to Shashi Kapoors, either living or dead, are completely coincidental!

    ajnabi, thank you! This was as much Beth's effort as mine, and we had several happy hours plotting and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic! Ah, you girls are so gifted! I bow down to your literary genuis! Okay, nuff of that! I will be also using this to increase my Hindi vocab.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Shell. :-D

    I will be also using this to increase my Hindi vocab. - like your Junoon for Bollywood, and your Prem Kahani with SRK? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Exactly!!!! Both which I have to give my husband credit for putting up with!

    Learning already!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I say, your blog is quite wonderful! Thanks for dropping in on mine. I am loving all filmi folk and your blog has detailing of a kind that makes my heart sing. :) Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hehe Shell, you probably want titles like Mera Pati Mera Devta Hai (my husband is my god) for your hubby - that leaves you free to love Shahrukh! ;-)

    longblackveil, thank you so much! Its just the sort of thing I love to hear!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete