Movies and posts on this blog

Latest on Masala Punch

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Happy Holidays!!!

Friends, blogizens and readers, its that time of the year again when my favorite jodi comes to the fore – me and my holidays. :-) Yup you got it right – Old is Gold is on a Christmas vacation to the old country. And the old country sadly, isnt India this time but the UK (also known as Vilaayat in my favorite Bollywood oldies) which will certainly be a lot warmer than the arctic Calgary! Big Ben, here I come!!!
Hope you all have as good a time in your holiday season as I intend to! See you again next year. In the meantime, here’s a picture I happened to come across a while ago. Can you identify the actor and actress in the snap? Hint: he went on to become a famous Bollywood actor and she became a famous Pakistani actress.
Pran and Noorjehan in Khaandaan
Update 6 Jan 2009:
Everybody got it right! Yes, it is Pran and Noor Jehan and Richard correctly identified the film as 1942’s Khaandaan. I ran across the pic while browsing through the delightful “Yesteryear Actresses” thread on Hamara Forums. (Do check the thread – its chockful of interesting facts/gossip and great pics of Bollywood actresses from all decades.) If it hadnt been for the accompanying caption, I would have had a hard time identifying the two – but all of you identified him, instantly!

19 comments:

  1. It's not my beloved Pran is it? I would feel ashamed if I didn't recognize him... but that's the closest I reckon from the pic.

    Happy travels! And thanks for reminding me of Vilaayat - I'd been thinking of The Satanic Verses today and couldn't remember what word Rushdie used for "England"! Give Southall my love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does look like Pran...

    I have no idea about famous Pakistani actors/actresses though, except Noor Jehan and she doesn't really look like Noor Jehan.

    Have a wonderful holiday in ye olde England and have some Christmas pud for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Holidays! Enjoy your trip.

    I have no idea on the picture but love to hear the results when you're back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL on "blogizens"

    I too think it's Pran and for the woman I'll guess Zeba Ali only because of my random internet search leading me to this:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6266039.stm

    I too will be going on Christmas vacation, but luckily it IS to the old country, Mother India. Yes the land, not the film. It will be my first trip to India.

    All the best!
    Sita-ji

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a good time. Looks like an umbrella might be necessary over the holidays.

    You do realise any mildness of the climate is largely canceled out by the British aversion to invest in new-fangled stuff like central heating or properly closing windows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are those Pran and Noorjehan? Delightful picture, whoever it is... and btw, I love the banner with Rock - which movie is that?

    And yes, have a Happy Christmas and a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will answer one of my own questions...that's Come September. Rock Hudson is so divine. But yes, I still am not sure about whether that is Pran and Noorjehan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like Pran to me! Say hello to Big Ben for me, though he doesn't know me at all.

    Happy, happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Christmas and felicitations for the New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks to me like Pran and Noor Jehan. I know they co-starred in Khandan (1942). (I haven't seen the movie, but it has the most delightful scenes on YouTube, with really nice music.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. P.S. Look at this delightful clip of the song "Maar Gayi Re Hamein Teri Najariya" from Khandan, and look especially at the shot of Noor Jehan at about 1:39:

    http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=ysXLfbsg1bY

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heyyy you're going back to my vilayat or my born-in desh! You definitely should go to Southall to buy some dvds they are so cheap and original too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the actor is Guru Dutt and the actress is Noor Jahan.Happy X-mas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Holidays Ira! Hope ur vacation is fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Holidays! Have a safe trip. Look forward to your next post!:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here is what the lady herself says about the film and Pran:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4qbtP0at1g

    at 6:22 is the reference to this.

    The entire 4-part interview is really worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great link, Bawa. Her comments were so much fun - "Mera shauhar bhaag gaya", indeed! And she had that golden voice right up to the end. Her scare-crow make-up does have me puzzled though....

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Great actor is PRAN and actress is Noor Jehan.

    Regard
    Avinash Tripathi

    ReplyDelete