Movies and posts on this blog

Latest on Masala Punch

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Updates from Masala Punch

Updated with new content: 17 Dec 2023

Keeping two blogs running at the same time is not working out for me. To be honest if I could just keep the one up and running, I would be immensely satisfied with myself! Till I figure out how to combine the contents of the two blogs, here is an update of the latest posts on Masala Punch.

"Hum Tum" on a tour of Amsterdam

The song “Ladki Kyon…” from the film Hum Tum (2004) is a 5-minute action packed, extended tour through Amsterdam’s attractions (with even a slight detour to The Hague). And if, while watching the song you have ever wondered what the vague buildings in the background were or where exactly did Saif chuck his chewing gum (oh yes, yes, he did!) then the time to answer all your burning questions has arrived! Complete with recent street views and precise map coordinates of the locations (courtesy Google maps), I present to you a step-by-step guide that will help you to choose the sights you might want to visit or even trace the entire trajectory of Saif and Rani yourself, if you ever find yourself in Amsterdam.

Read full post on Masala Punch

************

Pride and Prejudice: The Musical

Bollyviewer was of the opinion that if Pride and Prejudice was to be made in Hindi, then Hindi cinema has already written the dialogues – in multiple songs. In case you wouldn’t believe her, she had collected ample proof. Her intention was to display the proof to her readers using the scenes of one of her favorite adaptations – the 1995 BBC series. I hope I have done justice to her vision.


Read full post on Masala Punch

************

Kucch aur zamana kehta hai: the freedom to not conform

List of songs from Bollywood movies that beautifully express the thoughts of a woman’s mind while pondering life dilemmas or decision making, or bring to life the hopes and desires, and the joy of freedom, beyond just the waiting for a knight-in-shining-armor.

Read full post on Masala Punch

                                                                    ************

Knives Out (2019)

Movie review

A whodunnit, a social satire, a comedy or simply a feel good movie? It is perhaps all of that and more. On the recommendation of my sisters, I had watched this movie when it came out a couple of years ago. I recently re-watched it with my family (including two teenagers) and together we enjoyed this layered drama just as much, or maybe even more, than when I had watched it first.

I’hem tellin’ you, this film is whay bette’ than hah James Bond!

Read full post on Masala Punch

************

The crying catharsis

Hindi film songs have beautifully expressed the tears and weeping of all hues of the broken heart. But only recently, while researching for this post in fact, did I realize that these songs are also rich in the description of the reflex tears that are formed in response to irritants, and even on the working of the eyes! Come join my tear fest as I tell you more.

Read full post on Masala Punch

************

Connected by ink and paper

Moving away from the theme of the blogs, this is a personal story.

I still remember the moment I first saw Gerty and Fritz, in Bombay, in 1996. My younger sister and I were waiting for their arrival, with barely suppressed excitement. They were coming to stay with us for a week and Mama and Papa were to pick them up from the airport. When the doorbell announced their arrival, I ran to open the door. On our doorstep were our German guests. They greeted me with broad smiles and bowed, with their hands pressed together, in the traditional Indian greeting of namaste. All I could think of in the first instance was, “How white they are!” A bit shy in the presence of these strangers, I invited them to come in. Little did I know then, that I had also invited them into our lives!

Read full post on Masala Punch

************


No comments:

Post a Comment